Monday 27 April 2015

D.I.Y. Exfoliating and Moisturizing Body Scrub EASY & CHEAP

I've been intrigued by the idea of at d.i.y. home beauty before, but never have I experienced anything that works half so well as this D.I.Y. Scrub. 



I don't know about others but drug store/beauty products are a fair size expense in my budget each month. When I break it down into a consistent budget, I find that purchasing quality beauty products has cost relatively the same for me be it in Canada or Thailand. I've tried various brands from all the major retailers. Usually from stores like Shoppers Drug Mart, Lawtons, and Walmart in Canada. Also from Watsons and Boots in Thailand. I find I consistently spend somewhere between $40-50 a month in beauty, and I believe its reasonable to expect that $20 in this is spent on body moisturizer, body wash and exfoliating products. 

Now here I have written a bit of back story to how I came to start making my own scrub a few months ago... if you don't feel like reading and just want to get to the D.I.Y., feel free to scroll past til you see the pink text below for tl;dr version.

Considering I've tried major brands from two different countries you would think I would have found something and been satisfied. NOPE. I've just continued to bop back and forth to different brands hoping something is going to give me both the exfoliation AND moisturizing results I'm looking for in ONE product. Not even once. I've probably spent hundreds on different exfoliates and moisturizers over the years, then one day on Instagram I was inspired.

Has anyone else seen those ads of super fit girls rubbing coffee grinds all over themselves in a bathroom on Instagram? There are several accounts where girls are creating a business selling coffee grinds as an organic natural exfoliate. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly interested in ordering some girls old coffee grinds to rub all over my body... but I sure will use my own! I mean, I already drink coffee on a regular basis and have been throwing out or composting the old grinds. When I really think back on this, I've bought natural products at the store that read "sugar scrub" and "salt scrub" all the time. Why have I never seen coffee before? I've also considered making d.i.y. scrubs before, but the thought of using up my sugar and salt just sounded costly and wasteful. These items are household staples of course, but when you think how much is consumed in your food and now your adding to your beauty regime too, the cost could start to add up and really eat away at your budget! So I really thought this idea was ingenious, reusing something that would otherwise be garbage. I started to save my morning coffee grinds and bring them in the shower with me as an exfoliate. It worked brilliant! But I was still slathering on the moisturizers after, thinking "wouldn't it be great if I didn't have to do this after shower?"

I was recently introduced to the useful properties of Coconut oil. I started using it last year as a pre-shower moisturizer for skin and hair once a week. Then as a makeup remover. It really moisturizes the skin and lasts! So finally one day I did a bit of research and decided to combine the two.

TL:DR : I think you're going to like this.

YOU WILL NEED:



Organic Coconut Oil (approx $8-9 a jar)
Olive or Jojoba Oil
Coffee grinds (I saved mine from morning coffees for a week in a small dish)
1-2 bottles to save product in.
Spatula
Dish with spout or funnel to pour mixture
Microwave

Step 1: Put coffee grinds in your mixing dish.


Step 2: Place hard Coconut oil in microwave for 1 min. to melt. If you have liquid coconut oil, obviously skip this step.


As you can see in the picture below, I only had about 25% of my bottle left. The beauty of this is that you use what you have. Don't worry about exact measurements, you will still get a good product.


Add coconut oil to your mixing dish.


Step 3: After mixing product, add Olive or Jojoba oil at a ratio of 10% the total mixture. The olive oil keeps the coconut oil from congealing back into a hard cream.


Step 4: Mix well and add your total mixture to an empty container of your choice. 


Don't be afraid of the colour, it's the coffee!
Milo is helping...

And there you have it! The mixture I had was enough for two bottles. Used 2-3 times per week. These will last me 3-5 weeks. Simply shake the bottle and apply in the shower with loofah or body brush. The grinds wash off safely down the drain and the coconut oil leaves skin feeling moisturized, even when using body wash and soap after to wash the product away. Budget wise, the only item I am paying extra for was the coconut oil. Coffee and olive oil are already a staple in my grocery budget. I frequently buy coconut oil anyway. This has resulted in savings as I don't have to use as much moisturizer daily and I save on body scrub, exfoliate products for the shower. NOT TO MENTION MY SKIN FEELS GREAT! 

If you give it a try let me know your results!
(•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑ Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment